Moscow (AFP) - Russia could reduce to zero its economic dependency on the United States if Washington agreed sanctions against Moscow over Ukraine, a Kremlin aide said on Tuesday, warning that the American financial system faced a “crash” if this happened.
like i said, they are “rebels” as long as its US money and weapons they are holding….. but if we need a ghost to chase they all the sudden become terrorists.
the thing to realize here is that conservatives find the idea of paying workers a livable wage so absurd that they make hyperbolic comparisons like this
because fifteen dollars and hour and a hundred thousand dollars an hour both mean the same thing to them; more than you deserve
^That commentary is very important.
You know why minimum wage is a big deal? Because in Ohio minimum wage went up 5 cents and some of my coworkers were crying because an extra 5 cents per hour adds up. And when you are barely scrapping by any amount extra helps.
Let me repeat, full grown adults were crying over extra pennies. If the minimum wage was $15 they might actually be able to afford the cost of living. One woman I work with has 2 jobs and her husband has a job but they still struggle to feed their kids. I had to sneak money into another coworkers purse because she wasn’t sure how she was going to get to work the rest of the week because she couldn’t afford gas. I work with some people that when they go on break it’s the only meal they get during the day because we get our food half off and they can’t afford anything else.
It’s easy to say minimum wage employees don’t deserve more when you talk about “them” as a group. But when you put faces on them and know what some of them are going through, you know how cruel statements like “Why not raise the minimum wage to a hundred thousand dollars?” really are.
And don’t you dare tell me to get a better job. I have never had another job. No other places would hire me because I didn’t have enough work experience. They didn’t care about my lack of work experience or that I was in college. They work around my schedule any time I need them to. No other place would hire me except for places that pay minimum wage. People get trapped in minimum wage jobs and then society looks down on them for asking for a little bit more.
If you don’t think I’m worth paying a living wage, just remember that the next time you go to a fast food restaurant. Remember that when a cashier takes your order, no matter how crazy you requests, and gives you your food. Remember that when you see other customers yell at them because “I asked for no pickles!” Remember that you don’t think they are worth a living wage.
In other words, they are training to kill us while using some bullshit scenario to justify the training.
Fucking hell, Ohio.
One of the few objections I had to the class I just took was the characterization of militia members as domestic terrorists. Just ridiculous.
It’s not just Ohio. That’s standard across nearly every state now. I have old friends in the guard. I was the first person they told when they were effectively ordered to disassociate with people like me, to treat fellow soldiers that prepped as potential enemies, and that preppers would be the largest threat and largest target by military forces in an emergency.bullshit. i AM a guard member and we’ve been doing drills against “extremist movements” for forever. All these scenarios are, are just crazy plots some officer created to make a shitty training schedule somewhat fun. I doubt you will meet many combat arms soldiers willing to roll over on the citizens we are supposed to be protecting/ helping. Maybe in other states, but not in Indiana. Most of us are multiple gun owners. Most of us are also very aware of the state that our country has become over the last 15 years. Most of us, ironically, do not agree with a large and powerful federal/ state government. In the end, most of us are not career soldiers, so we know how it is to have these feelings and be a civilian/ will ETS and become a civilian shortly. We know how we are perceived and we know we are also the FIRST on the list of people to be watched.
yes, you have been training to lockdown and subdue americans for a while now. it’s nothing new, just a story, lol…. you’re also being taught the founding fathers, christians & tea partiers are the enemy. if you don’t believe me, look it up. yeah, you have these made up scenarios you think are fun, but when it aligns with rhetoric such as indefinite detention and the ability of the president alone to call up a battlefield anywhere in the US, maybe you should be asking why these are your targets
New York City, USA
He told the Tribune that throwing away the students’ lunches could have been easily prevented, but did not say it was a mistake.
"If students were humiliated and upset," Olsen said. "that’s very unfortunate and not what we wanted to happen." (link)
What the hell is wrong with people??? You are going to deny a child food…really???
That Louise gif is appropriate.
People out there seriously do not care about others. No one with any sort of heart or conscience can look at a child and literally take food out of their mouths. WTF? Who does that? You’re gonna see a child go hungry over a few dollars? Dude, if they can’t afford to pay you, likely they’re having trouble feeding those same kids. The school lunch might be the only meal they get.
Some people have no souls.
And to throw good food away when there are hungry kids right in front of you!!! How do you even stand there talking about “it’s not a mistake.” Like he doesn’t even fathom the fuckery of the situation. It’s absolutely a mistake, asshole. A mistake that you were born without an ounce of compassion or decency.
YOU THREW IT AWAY! WHY NOT LET THEM KEEP IT! WHAT THE FUCK!
the american way
And I bet these fucks would have the nerve to say to other kids
"REMEMBER KIDS, DON’T YOU DARE WASTE YOUR PRECIOUS FOOD, EAT UP NOW!"
Scary statistics on unemployment, inequality, climate change and more
1. New income generated since 2009 that has gone to the top 1 percent: 95 percent
2. Financial wealth controlled by the bottom 60 percent of all Americans: 2.3 percent
3. Record combined wealth of the top 400 richest Americans: $2,000,000,000,000
4. Real decline in median middle-class incomes since 1999: $5,000
5. Percentage of Hispanic and African-American children living in poverty, respectively: 33.8 percent; 36.7 percent
6. Amount that food stamps will be cut in 2014: $5 billion
7. Federal minimum wage: $7.25
8. What the minimum wage would be if it had kept pace with gains in worker productivity since 1968: $21.72
9. Number of U.S. workers laboring at or below minimum wage: 3.6 million – the near equivalent of the population of Los Angeles.
10.Stealth taxpayer subsidy to the fast-food industry, paid out as safety-net benefits to McWorkers earning poverty wages: $7 billion
11. Global carbon dioxide levels measured in parts per million: 397
12. Maximum concentration of the greenhouse gas that scientists deem sustainable: 350
13. Years since the turn of this century that have ranked among the warmest 15 on record: All 13
14. Rank of 2013 on that list of the warmest years on record: Number Four
15. U.S. defense spending as of 2012: $682 billion
16. Dollar amount by which that surpassed our nearest plausible military rival, China: $516 billion
17. Federal deficit last year: $680 billion
18. Number of Americans disenfranchised from voting for felony convictions: 5.9 million
19. Share of those disenfranchised voters who are African-American: 37 percent
20. Number of Americans arrested annually for marijuana possession: 658,000
21. Total incarcerated U.S. population: 2.3 million
22. Total population on probation/parole: 4.8 million
23. States that could be entirely filled by all of the Americans under correctional supervision: Nevada and Kentucky
24. Official unemployment rate: 6.7 percent
25. Alternate rate including Americans who’ve given up looking for work, or have only been able to secure part-time employment: 13.1 percent
26. Number of jobs the United States is still down from 2008 employment peak: 1.69 million
27. Number of Americans who were cut off from long-term unemployment benefits at the turn of the year: 1.3 million
Unedited Salton Sea Sunset / 12.15.13
I Went to California’s Post-Apocalyptic Beach Town
The Salton Sea, California’s largest lake by volume, exists entirely by accident.
It was created in the early 1900s after a heavy rain caused the Colorado River to burst through the banks of an irrigation canal, sending millions of gallons of water into a previously dried out lake bed in the California desert.
A screenshot from an early Salton Sea promotional film (via)
Initially, the new, giant, inland sea was a blessing.
In the 50s and 60s, it was a booming tourist attraction. Marketed as a “miracle in the desert,” it became Palm Springs but with beaches. It would regularly attract over half a million visitors annually.
Yacht clubs sprang up on the shores, people flocked to fish and waterski, and stars like the Beach Boys and Sonny Bono would visit to drive speedboats and swim.
Property was so in demand that real estate agents would fly people up in light aircraft and sell them property from the air without ever landing to view it.
But it wouldn’t last.
The sea quickly became something of an ecological nightmare soup. The Salton Sea is surrounded by nearly half a million acres of agricultural land, and water from this land runs off into the sea, taking with it salt and fertilizers and pesticides. By the 70s, the water was becoming too hostile to sustain much of any kind of life, and the shoreline became littered with thousands and thousands of dead fish.
The smell of these dead fish combined with rotting algal blooms, making the water smell so bad that nobody wanted to go anywhere near it.
The Beach Boys left. Sonny Bono left. Everyone else left, and the Salton Sea fell into misery.
This video sums up what’s wrong with the mainstream news media in under 30 seconds…
"Excuse me, congressman. We’ve got a breaking news and it’s about Justin Bieber fucking shit up."