On Friday, May 31, Turkish riot police fired tear gas and pepper spray into a peaceful protest held to save Gezi Park, one of the last green areas in central Istanbul.
This set off the biggest civil uprising in the history of the Turkish Republic, calling for Prime Minister Erdogan’s resignation.
The unrest has spread like wildfire to more than 60 cities where protests are still ongoing. We landed in Istanbul the day it all kicked off.
Happy May day everyone
It’s the anniversary of the Occupy movement, a movement which I made an effort to document over the course of this year through photography submissions from people who had witnessed or participated in rallies and protests across the US (and even across the pond, I received a few Occupy Londons, an Occupy Bristol, and even an Occupy Dublin). Above are just a handful of the photographs I collected from people. If you want to see the full collection, it’s housed here on The Political Notebook and also here on Pinterest.
Here are some longreads, old and new, on Occupy, its origins and its future.
- “Inside Occupy Wall Street.” By Jeff Sharlet for Rolling Stone. 10 Nov. 2011.
- ”’We Are the 99 Percent’ Creators Revealed.” Interview by Adam Weinstein for Mother Jones. 7 Oct. 2011.
- “Occupy Year Two.” By Nick Pinto for the Village Voice. 29 Aug. 2012.
Photos:  Occupy Philadelphia Day 59. Eviction protests. Michael Albany.  Zuccotti Park. Fall 2011. Jack Massey.  UC Davis. Pepper spray cop. Brian Nguyen.  Occupy London, October 2011. Tahlia Hein.  Zuccotti, Fall 2011. Luis Antonio Thompson.  Zuccotti, Fall 2011. Bianca Farrow.  NYC, Fall 2011. Ceridwyn Asher.  Occupy Dallas, Fall 2011. Chris Wang.  Occupy London, November 30th. Allan Shaw.
* Like the people aint trying to look for a scapegoat or an excuse. This is an absolute fucking fact.
And we’re ready to make some changes, not for profits. But for our future.
* START OVER!
* Those dirty hippies did end the Vietnam War that went on for morre than a decade
GovernmentCorporate America. Same thing.
#US Veterans who demonstrated against #NATO and returned their medals to their NATO generals at #Chicago should be respected and followed by all US army servicemen and their counterparts.
* During the anti-NATO summit protest.